May Beef Month is a celebration of all who help craft nutritious, versatile beef products from farmers to processors, truck drivers, grocery stores and more. All play a crucial role in Wisconsin’s heritage, economy and future.
Wisconsin has a robust beef industry, ranking ninth in the nation for the number of cattle and calves that call the Badger state home, 3.4 million total1. The value of those cattle and calves to the state is almost double Wisconsin’s food grains, vegetables and melons, and fruits and nuts combined when comparing cash receipts2.
Whether it’s a Ribeye Steak on the grill or a Chuck Roast for the family, customers are choosing beef. In fact, per capita consumption of beef and veal was over 59 pounds in 20223. That’s 236 quarter-pound burgers!
This May Beef Month, there are many ways to celebrate:
- Attend a May Beef Month event: Keep an eye out for a local steak fry in the area. Or join the Wisconsin Beef Council for the 3rd Annual Burgers & Buns Fun Run with both a virtual option and an in-person opportunity at the Farm Wisconsin Discovery Center in Manitowoc on Saturday, May 20. The Wisconsin Beef Council is also teaming up with The Capital Times to host Madison Burger Week May 19-26. Taste test burgers at participating restaurants and vote for your favorite!
- Engage with your local farmer: There are nearly 27,777 Wisconsin farms and ranches with cattle and calves4. Those farmers are working hard to care for their animals and raise this high-quality protein. Ask for a tour, find your local farmer on Facebook, or create a conversation at the farmer’s market to learn more about how your beef is grown. Unsure of where to begin? Check out Wisconsin Beef Council’s Local Beef Directory to find a farm near you!
- Visit an area meat processor: Wisconsin is home to more than 500 licensed meat establishments in 68 of the 72 counties5. Each has a flavorful twist on snack sticks, smoked meat, classic cuts, and more. This sector of the industry employs more than 175,068 people and has a total economic output of $34.2 billion6.
- Grill like you mean it with beef: Beef is a nutrient powerhouse that supplies half the daily value of protein in just one 3 oz serving. Filled with 10 essential nutrients like zinc, iron, and B vitamins, beef can help our bodies feel more satisfied with fewer calories. Beef’s great versatility means there are plenty of options for every taste and budget. Find inspiration from simple steak swaps to budget-friendly recipes and affordable beef cuts for families.
Stay up to date with the latest recipes and beef industry news at www.beeftips.com!
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, 2017 Census of Agriculture
- Jeff Swenson, Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection Livestock and Meat Specialist
- North American Meat Institute 2019 Economic Impact of the Meat and Poultry Industry