April 22 is Earth Day and what better way to celebrate than quick, easy snack to share with your kids? This is a great recipe that also provides a little learning about Earth’s layers.
Soil is made up of many layers called soil horizons. These horizons run parallel to the Earth’s surface and when you slice into these layers, you are able to see what is called a soil profile. Soil profiles can be separated into four main horizons that are represented by this recipe:
- Bedrock – This is hard, solid rock surface lies way beneath the loose surface materials and does not grow plants or organisms. In this recipe, bedrock is depicted by the Oreo crust layer.
- Subsoil – This layer is just below surface soil and above the hard bedrock surface. This soil section is less fertile and lighter in color than the topsoil, and full of minerals like clay, iron, silt and sand. This is represented by the cream cheese mixture in our recipe.
- Topsoil – Topsoil is the uppermost layer of soil and contains the highest concentration of organic matter. This is where plants form their roots and take up valuable nutrients. In this recipe, this is depicted by chocolate pudding.
- Organic matter – Decomposing plants, leaves, twigs and microorganisms thrive in this layer and provide valuable nutrients for the soil below. In this recipe, this is depicted by whipped cream and a variety of toppings.
We hope you enjoy celebrating Earth Day alongside your family over this yummy treat!
Earth Day Dirt Cake
- 1 package regular Oreos
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 large package chocolate instant pudding
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 16 oz whipped topping
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 ¾ cup milk
- Crush Oreos and mix with melted butter.
- Press the Oreo mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 pan to form a crust.
- Make chocolate pudding according to package directions and allow to set up in the fridge.
- Mix 8 ounces of whipped topping, softened cream cheese and powdered sugar in a large bowl and spread on top of the crust.
- Spread pudding over top of the whipped topping mixture.
- Spread the remaining whipped topping on top and top with desired toppings.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.