Greek yogurt continues to take the culinary world by storm. Beyond being a delicious snack or breakfast option, this dairy wonder boasts an impressive array of health benefits that make it a superfood worth integrating into your diet. Let’s dive into its versatility and goodness and discover why it’s a powerhouse meal ingredient.
Versatility – Greek yogurt is a versatile staple in the kitchen. Whether you have a sweet tooth or crave more savory, it fits into nearly any dish. For a wholesome breakfast, top it with fresh fruits, granola and a drizzle of honey. Need a quick and satisfying snack? Mix in some nuts, seeds and a dash of cinnamon.
Greek yogurt’s versatility doesn’t stop there; it’s a great substitute for several traditional ingredients. Use it as a creamy substitute for sour cream or mayonnaise in dips and dressings, or add a dollop to soups and curries for a nutritious swap.
Nutrition – Beyond it’s versatility, greek yogurt is packed with essential nutrients. Rich in probiotics, it aids in digestion and promotes a healthy gut. With higher protein content than regular yogurt, Greek yogurt is an excellent option for those looking to maintain or build muscle mass. It also is full of calcium which supports healthy bones.
Indulgence – Finally, this dairy-rich ingredient is a satisfying alternative when craving a sweet treat. It can be utilized in recipes that mimic more calorie-dense sweets, like this healthy fruit pizza alternative from dietitian Brittany Jaeger. Blend it with frozen fruits to create a delicious frozen yogurt, or mix it into your smooth to get that added protein. It also works well as a substitute in many baking recipes!
Whether you’re a foodie seeking culinary adventures or a health-conscious individual prioritizing your well-being, Greek yogurt deserves a spot in your kitchen. Its benefits are undeniable and its uses are endless!
Healthy Fruit Pizza
- 2 cups cashews
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons milk or water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups vanilla greek yogurt
- Fresh fruit of your choice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare a large baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Add the cashews to a food processor and process until they are finely ground.
- Dump the cashews into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the oats into the food processor and process until a fine flour is formed.
- Combine the oat flour, salt, maple syrup, milk and vanilla into the mixing bowl and stir until fully combined.
- Transfer the ingredients to the baking sheet and spread out into a pizza shape about ¼ inch thick.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the edges turn golden brown.
- Wash and slice your desired fruit while the crust bakes.
- When the crust is done baking, let it cool completely and then chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Top the crust with greek yogurt and fruit – making any design or pattern you choose!