How are you celebrating this Fourth of July holiday? Independence Day is the perfect kick off to grilling month. Before you fire up the grill with family this week, give those proteins a little extra kick of flavor with this delicious chili-cilantro marinade courtesy of our friends at Wisconsin Beef Council.
Simply mix up your ingredients, add your steaks and let them sit in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes to give your beef a boost of flavor. Marinades are more than just a flavorful punch, however. They also help keep meat moist while cooking and tenderize meat textures.
Kick your grilling routine up a notch and give this marinade a try!
- 2/3 cup prepared Italian dressing
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl. Place beef steak(s) and marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak(s) to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours for tender steaks; 6 hours or as long as overnight for less tender steaks, turning occasionally.
- Remove steak(s) from bag; discard marinade. Place steak(s) on grid over medium, ash-covered coals or over medium heat on preheated gas grill. Grill according to the chart for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
SAFE HANDLING TIPS:
- Wash hands with soap and water before cooking and always after touching raw meat.
- Separate raw meat from other foods.
- Wash all cutting boards, utensils, and dishes after touching raw meat.
- Do not reuse marinades used on raw foods.
- Wash all produce prior to use.
- Cook steaks and roasts until temperature reaches 145°F for medium rare, as measured by a meat thermometer, allowing to rest for three minutes.
- Cook Ground Beef to 160°F as measured by a meat thermometer.
- Refrigerate leftovers promptly.